- If I had a diary this is what I write in it today: “It’s that old bitch Guy Fawkes’s birthday once again.”
- “Once more, it is time to think about the birth of the man I hate, that sassy and pointlessly inscrutable historical figure called Guy Fawkes, also for some fucking reason known as ‘Guido Fawkes.’”
- If I was living somewhere with a lot of high white chalky cliffs, I would wake up very early every November 5th and take myself for a walk right along the edge of the cliff face. It would be a stormy, lead-grey morning. The clammy silence would be punctuated by the screaming of ugly birds. I would walk until I was able to stop thinking about how much I hate Guy Fawkes, and until the harshness of my surroundings matched the harshness of what was in my spirit. Toiling over volcanic rock that is hot to the touch, although the sun is yet loitering beneath the horizon. Walking past old men, sharing a silence that is born of contempt as opposed to mutual acceptance of any sort. The waves cough up skeins of kelp continuously. I walk until my mind is able to alight on any subject that does not immediately carry me back to my bottomless hatred of Guy Fawkes. A long, long walk.
- Part of the reason I hate Guy “Guido” Fawkes is that I can’t properly explain why I hate him, only how much.
- I hate how long ago he was born, and I hate the suggestion that any person alive today should be remotely interested in even the broadest overview of “the Gunpowder plot.”
- I hate how much he makes me think of Rumpelstiltskin.
- None of this makes any sense, but then neither does the centuries-old insistence that people should take an interest in Guy Fawkes.
- Why should they.
- If I had an office cubicle I would maybe put up a poster on the one wall that said “Don’t Even Get Me Started On Guy Fawkes” and everyone would know to give me a wide berth.
- I hate that it’s not even Guy Fawkes’s actual birthday today, but rather the anniversary of the exposure of “the Gunpowder plot.”
- Too late to start again though and think of someone whose existence is worth celebrating or even acknowledging in any way.
- This whole episode has sapped me of my strength, as it always does.
- I hate that up until today I had no idea that Guy Fawkes was well known for being ‘the man behind the Anonymous mask.’ Why does this make me hate him even more. Why does it.
- Happy birthday.
Hmm, looks like you don’t have MetaMask activated!
If you know what MetaMask is and have it installed, activate MetaMask and refresh:
If that doesn’t make sense to you, click here:
The MetaMask window should have popped up and asked if you want Popula to have access to your MetaMask. Click the ‘CONFIRM’ button.
Don’t see the MetaMask window? Click here to request it again:
You have an old version of the MetaMask extension installed. Before we can continue, you must install the latest version.
- Uninstall (don’t just disable) the existing extension from your browser.
- Restart your browser.
- Go to metamask.io and re-install the extension.
- Come back here and try again!
We know this step is inconvenient, but it’s necessary to make sure this all goes smoothly!
Your MetaMask extension is running, but for privacy purposes you have to allow us to connect to your MetaMask wallet.
You need to connect to the Main Net before you can actually tip. Click on your MetaMask icon so the window pops up, then select ‘Main Ethereum Network’ from the dropdown.
How much do you want to tip?
You can adjust either amount to see how much ETH or USD you’ll be sending.
You can adjust the tip amount in the MetaMask popup window before confirming the transaction.
Popula’s authors contribute 5% of their tips to Popula to help with the overhead of running the tipping system.
Author participation in the Popula tipping system is optional; if an author declines to participate in the tipping system, your tip will be refunded to you in full within 60 days.
Your MetaMask window has popped up now, and you need to confirm the transaction.
Hit that ‘CONFIRM’ button to make it happen!
Did you reject the transaction by accident? Want to adjust your tip amount? Click here:
Maybe you’re not quite comfortable with this yet?
That transaction didn’t go through for some reason.
Try clicking on the MetaMask button in your browser bar (looks like this: ) and see if you have any transactions listed at the bottom of the popup. If you don’t see the tip you just tried to leave, then try again:
Or just want to ask us about it? We’ look into it personally for you.
Thank you so much for your tip, and for your direct support of journalism. The author will appreciate it a lot, and so do all of us at Popula.
Want a receipt?
To see your transaction logged in MetaMask, click the MetaMask button in your browser toolbar—this one: —and your transaction will be listed in the popup.
You can also track the transaction on the Etherscan website. It usually takes under a minute to process, and you’ll get a notification from MetaMask when it’s done.Track on Etherscan
If you have any questions at all, please let us know!
All set?Home to Popula, please!
We know this cryptocurrency stuff is new and weird. We’re here to help you understand. Ask us firstname.lastname@example.org
ETH is Ether, a popular cryptocurrency generated on the Ethereum blockchain.
You’ll need some Ethereum cryptocurrency (ETH) in a MetaMask wallet in order to tip an author. Currently it’s not possible to tip in other cryptocurrencies, or in dollars or other fiat currencies.
For a comprehensive FAQ to help get you started, please visit our help page, “How to Tip Your Favorite Authors with Cryptocurrency on Popula!”
If you have any questions at all, please let us know!