- The most interesting thing about you is that you were once married to Wendi Deng, the most riveting person to have ever lived.
- WENDI. WENDI. WENDI.
- It’s no exaggeration to say that I think of her weekly. Sometimes fearfully (is she reading this right now), sometimes like how I picture a medieval serf would think about the lady of the manor, again fearfully but with more involuntary genuflection and tugging of forelocks, sometimes with bewildered admiration, but mostly a low kind of droning hum that just goes WEEEENNNNNNNNNNNDI. Imagine the sound of a chainsaw in faraway woods, making efficient work of some sturdy-seeming trees. Now, imagine that chainsaw can
speak,and that what the chainsaw is saying is WEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDI. That’s what my brain sounds like when it’s thinking about Wendi.
- If someone asked me to name my top five fantasy dinner party guests, I would say “Five versions of Wendi Deng at different periods of her life, from when she was a volleyball player to present day.”
- If someone asked me to name eight songs I would take with me to a desert island, I would say, “Instead, can I have eight recordings of Wendi Deng relaying detailed anecdotes from different periods of her life. I don’t care if the anecdotes are widely known or not – I just want to hear her tell them.”
- You understand this. There’s no need for me to get into what makes Wendi Deng so
interesting,because you were married to her for fourteen years, and so you know.
- The fact of your marriage is, as I said, the most
curiosity-invoking thingabout you.
- This is extraordinary in itself, given who you are: are a terrible, mercenary, sinister person who has done a number of truly disgraceful things. You should be horribly fascinating all on your own.
- If I was doing a PowerPoint presentation now called “What’s Gone Wrong, Here”, the first slide would be just of your face.
- However, I cannot say with any confidence that the world would be a noticeably better place if you had never been born, because it is my strong sense that you are not so much a person as a conduit for the worst impulses of the culture.
- If you had never been born, it seems highly likely that some kind of Murdoch-
esquefigure would have risen slimily out of the mud to take your place.
- I don’t know for certain, however, because at the same time as being a terrible, mercenary, sinister person who has done a number of truly disgraceful things, you are also boring.
- Beyond an ordinary curiosity about the mechanisms of power and the spectacle of grotesque wealth, it is impossible to take an interest in the actual facts of your life.
- It’s very difficult to know whether the hideous world you have been so instrumental in creating is in any way shaped by personality features that are specific to you and you alone, or whether things would have turned out this way with another profoundly unethical billionaire’s hand on the tiller.
- I could easily be wrong about this, but I will never
know,because trying to think about what you are like as a person is beyond me. I cannot do it.
- If someone tried to tell me about your hobbies, I wouldn’t listen.
- If someone told me you were pathologically frightened of rabbits, I wouldn’t care.
- If someone told me you never learned how to use a computer, I wouldn’t even laugh.
- Can’t care about your marriage to Jerry Hall, can’t care about how you seem appallingly vital for such an elderly person.
- I can only think about
Wendi,and wonder what she is up to right now.
- Bet you’re thinking about it too.
- Happy Birthday.
Popula is 100% ad-free, reader-supported journalism accountable only to you. Every dollar of your subscription goes straight to our work. Thank you for supporting Popula.
Hmm, looks like you don’t have MetaMask activated!
If you know what MetaMask is and have it installed, activate MetaMask and refresh:
If that doesn’t make sense to you, click here:
The MetaMask window should have popped up and asked if you want Popula to have access to your MetaMask. Click the ‘CONFIRM’ button.
Don’t see the MetaMask window? Click here to request it again:
You have an old version of the MetaMask extension installed. Before we can continue, you must install the latest version.
- Uninstall (don’t just disable) the existing extension from your browser.
- Restart your browser.
- Go to metamask.io and re-install the extension.
- Come back here and try again!
We know this step is inconvenient, but it’s necessary to make sure this all goes smoothly!
Your MetaMask extension is running, but for privacy purposes you have to allow us to connect to your MetaMask wallet.
You need to connect to the Main Net before you can actually tip. Click on your MetaMask icon so the window pops up, then select ‘Main Ethereum Network’ from the dropdown.
How much do you want to tip?
You can adjust either amount to see how much ETH or USD you’ll be sending.
You can adjust the tip amount in the MetaMask popup window before confirming the transaction.
Popula’s authors contribute 5% of their tips to Popula to help with the overhead of running the tipping system.
Author participation in the Popula tipping system is optional; if an author declines to participate in the tipping system, your tip will be refunded to you in full within 60 days.
Your MetaMask window has popped up now, and you need to confirm the transaction.
Hit that ‘CONFIRM’ button to make it happen!
Did you reject the transaction by accident? Want to adjust your tip amount? Click here:
Maybe you’re not quite comfortable with this yet?
That transaction didn’t go through for some reason.
Try clicking on the MetaMask button in your browser bar (looks like this: ) and see if you have any transactions listed at the bottom of the popup. If you don’t see the tip you just tried to leave, then try again:
Or just want to ask us about it? We’ look into it personally for you.
Thank you so much for your tip, and for your direct support of journalism. The author will appreciate it a lot, and so do all of us at Popula.
Want a receipt?
To see your transaction logged in MetaMask, click the MetaMask button in your browser toolbar—this one: —and your transaction will be listed in the popup.
You can also track the transaction on the Etherscan website. It usually takes under a minute to process, and you’ll get a notification from MetaMask when it’s done.Track on Etherscan
If you have any questions at all, please let us know!
All set?Home to Popula, please!
We know this cryptocurrency stuff is new and weird. We’re here to help you understand. Ask us firstname.lastname@example.org
ETH is Ether, a popular cryptocurrency generated on the Ethereum blockchain.
You’ll need some Ethereum cryptocurrency (ETH) in a MetaMask wallet in order to tip an author. Currently it’s not possible to tip in other cryptocurrencies, or in dollars or other fiat currencies.
For a comprehensive FAQ to help get you started, please visit our help page, “How to Tip Your Favorite Authors with Cryptocurrency on Popula!”
If you have any questions at all, please let us know!